Saturday, June 23, 2012

You are called by what name?


I’ve heard it said that adopted children often have three names.  One is an unknown name that their birth parents gave them.  I suppose if a child is abandoned shortly after birth, it’s possible this name was never given.  In China, it is illegal to abandon your baby.  So babies are left with no identification…no name, no birth date.  So, a second name is given by the orphanage.  Then children who are adopted join a new family and are given a new name, the third name.

In all of this, I am thankful that no matter what name a child is given here on earth, they are known and named by God.  The Lord says to all of His children, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!”  (Isaiah 43:1)

Our little girl likely spent about two months with her parents before she was abandoned.  She likely had a name given by them.  The orphanage then gave her a name, and we first knew her by that name.  Now in our home, we have given her a family name and when she is fully adopted she will be a Fertig. 

So, I asked for some suggestions for a name for her for our blog.  To protect her identity I will not be using her real name until she is legally ours.  So for our blog, I want a cute little name with meaning.  Here are all the suggestions I got:

Mei Mei –means “little sister” in Chinese, and we are thinking she will be the little sister in our family
Sweet pea—something I call her often
Lovey
Sugar Sugar
China Doll
Le Le—means “happiness” in Chinese…she does bring so much happiness to our home
Grace—truly it is only by God’s grace that she is here.  It is only His grace that she is ours.
Melody
Jewel—actually part of the name the orphanage gave her means “the tinkling of gems”
Eliza/Liza—means “consecrated to God,” and we pray she will be

I love all of your suggestions, but one night it came to me.  For this blog, she will be “Bella”.  She truly is beautiful and it has a small connection to the family name we’ve given her.

No comments: